Monday, January 13, 2014

Sketchbook & Collage Video


Hi everyone, Dion Dior here.  Welcome to the new year.  It's a wonderful theme this month and a total serendipity for me as I LOVE working in my sketchbook with collage.


Collage can take on a life all it's own and once you explore the possibilities, you'll be amazed how your art comes to life in a way you never imagined. I love to work collage and Twinkling h2O's on larger sheets, usually as part of an exhibition or commission. But before I tackle a large work, I always explore my ideas in my sketchbook first.


I often get asked about my process and technique with collage and as luck would have it, I have just finished filming a watercolor collage piece for my upcoming class "Mastering Twinks Part 2 - Twinkling Expressions."  So I thought I would cut together this short video that shows you how I created this energizing little "Villa" scene.



The work in this video uses Asian Fiber Paper infused with gold thread for collage over a Twinkling h2O background.  Once the collage was sealed, I began with a pencil sketch of the scene, then went over it with Sumi Ink and a Black Dip Pen.  I then painted it all using more Twinkling h2O's.  


As you can see, the results are wonderful.  So random and full of life.  Collage helps creates depth and texture in the most amazing and unpredictable ways and can really bring your art journal or sketchbook alive.  In this class, I also teach you how to tint your own collage papers using glittering Twinkling h2O's.


If you want to know more, please stop by my blog.  Enjoy your month of collage and sketching and I can't wait to see the slide show of your work at the end of January.


Thanks for checking in. xx

8 comments:

  1. Very nice, thanks for the instruction and glimpse into your process!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing Dion. What an interesting way of incorporating collage. And what an awesome sketch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Peaks are pointed. If you want to look at something, you can take a peek.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooops!! thanks for the heads up...sleep deprivation I think. xx

      Delete
  4. Simply beautiful Dion! Thanks for sharing. I love how you use the Twinks. Which color is that bronze on the side of the building or is it something other than twinkling H2Os?

    ReplyDelete